- 125g butter, softened
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 1/2 tablespoons golden syrup
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 3 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 cup pure icing sugar, sifted
- 1/2 small lemon, juiced
- ribbon, for decoration
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line 2 baking trays with baking paper.
- Using an electric mixer, cream butter and caster sugar until pale and creamy. Add egg yolk and golden syrup. Beat to combine. Sift flour, bicarbonate of soda, ginger and cinnamon together over butter mixture. Stir with a wooden spoon to form a stiff dough.
- Press dough into a 10cm round. Roll out between 2 sheets of baking paper until 5mm thick. Place, between baking paper, on a tray. Refrigerate for 20 minutes or until firm.
- Using an 8cm rabbit shaped biscuit cutter, cut 16 biscuits from dough. Place on prepared trays. Using a chopstick or skewer, punch 1 hole at the top of each biscuit and make small indentations on biscuits to decorate.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until firm to touch. Allow to cool on trays (biscuits will firm further on cooling).
- Sift icing sugar into a bowl. Gradually add 1 tablespoon lemon juice and stir until icing is smooth. Spoon into a small snap-lock bag. Squeeze out air and seal. Using scissors, snip 1 corner from bag and pipe icing on biscuits. Allow icing to set. Thread ribbon through holes. Serve.
- You can bake biscuits up to 3 days ahead. Store in an airtight container.