- 40g reduced-fat spread
- 9 slices oatbran and honey bread
- 2 cups skim milk
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoons yellow box honey (see note)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 small bananas, thinly sliced
- low-fat ice-cream or custard, to serve
- Preheat oven to 170°C. Spread reduced-fat spread over both sides of bread slices. Cut off crusts. Cut each slice of bread in half.
- Whisk milk, eggs, honey and cinnamon together in a jug.
- Layer bread over a greased 5-cup, ovenproof dish. Top with banana slices.
- Pour over milk mixture. Set aside for 10 minutes. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until puffed and golden. Serve with ice-cream or custard.
- Yellow box honey was chosen for this recipe as it has a low glycaemic index (GI) factor. Capilano makes a yellow box honey, readily available from supermarkets. It has a smooth flavour and is well-suited to Chinese cooking and as a baste for lamb and poultry.