- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 400g packet chopped vegetable soup mix (see note)
- 4 rashers shortcut rindless bacon, chopped
- 1 cup red lentils
- 3 large tomatoes, chopped
- 3 cups salt-reduced vegetable stock
- 100g green beans, trimmed, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add vegetable mix and bacon. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 to 5 minutes or until vegetables start to soften.
- Add lentils, tomato, stock and 2 cups cold water. Cover. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook for 15 to 20 minutes, adding beans in the last 5 minutes of cooking, or until lentils are tender. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in parsley. Serve.
- Chopped vegetable soup mix usually contains carrot, celery, parsnip and swede. You can find it in the refrigerated section of the supermarket's fruit and vegetable aisle.