- 125g butter or margarine
- 250g sugar
- 2 extra large eggs
- 500g plain flour
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 100g red glace cherries, quartered
- 125g pitted dates, chopped
- 200ml natural yoghurt or sour milk
- 200ml orange juice
- 5g grated orange rind
- 200g sugar
- Cream butter and sugar together. Beat eggs into mixture one at a time until light and creamy.
- Sift flour, salt, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda and add to egg mixture. Add fruit.
- Add the yoghurt, mix and place in a greased loaf or ring cake tin. Bake in a preheated oven at 180°C for about 35-45 minutes.
- For syrup: Place all ingredients in a small saucepan, simmer for 5 minutes, pour over cake while still hot.