Ingredients (serves 8)
- 1 x 270g pkt dried udon noodles
- 24 (about 550g) small cooked prawns, peeled
- 150g silken firm tofu, cut into 2cm pieces
- 2L (8 cups) water
- 200g white miso paste
- 1 tbs finely grated fresh ginger
- 2 tbs soy sauce
- 1 bunch asparagus, woody ends trimmed, cut into 3cm lengths diagonally
- 300g mixed Asian mushrooms (such as oyster, shimeji and shiitake)
- 80g baby spinach leaves
- 2 shallots, ends trimmed, thinly sliced diagonally
- Cook the noodles in a large saucepan of boiling water for 8 minutes or just until tender. Drain.
- Divide the noodles among serving bowls. Top with the prawns and tofu.
- Place the water and miso in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to the boil, whisking often, until the miso dissolves.
- Reduce heat to low. Add the ginger and soy sauce to the pan. Simmer for 2 minutes. Add the asparagus, mushrooms and spinach, and simmer for 30 seconds or until the spinach just wilts.
- Ladle the soup over the noodles. Sprinkle with shallot and serve immediately.