- 1 avocado, halved, stone removed, peeled, coarsely chopped
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, finely chopped
- 1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
- 125g (1/2 cup) mayonnaise
- 1 tbs tomato sauce
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbs fresh lemon juice
- 6 drops red Tabasco pepper sauce
- 8 iceberg lettuce leaves
- 24 (about 2kg) cooked large king prawns, peeled leaving tails intact
- Lemon wedges, to serve
- Combine the avocado, cucumber and onion in a medium bowl.
- Whisk together the mayonnaise, tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice and Tabasco in a bowl.
- Line each serving glass with 1 lettuce leaf. Finely shred the remaining lettuce leaves and divide among the glasses. Top with the avocado mixture and prawns. Drizzle over the mayonnaise mixture. Serve with lemon wedges.
- VariationSalmon & avocado cocktail: Omit the prawns. Replace the onion with 2 shallots, ends trimmed, thinly sliced. Preheat oven to 200°C. Place 2 skinless salmon fillets on a baking tray. Season with salt and pepper. Bake for 10-15 minutes. Set aside to cool slightly. Flake into large pieces. Continue from step 1. To prepare this ahead, use shepard avocados, as their flesh doesn't turn brown when exposed to the air. They have smooth green skin and are in store now.
Preparation Time15 minutes