- Melted butter, to grease
- 185g butter, at room temperature
- 155g (3/4 cup, firmly packed) brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 300g (2 cups) self-raising flour
- 185ml (3/4 cup) freshly brewed espresso coffee, cooled
- 125ml (1/2 cup) buttermilk
- 1 x 250g ctn mascarpone
- 125ml (1/2 cup) thickened cream
- 45g (1/4 cup) icing sugar mixture
- 2 tbs Kahlua liqueur
- Drinking chocolate, to dust
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Brush eight 250ml (1-cup) capacity ovenproof tea cups or muffin pans with melted butter to lightly grease.
- Use an electric beater to beat together the butter and sugar in a medium bowl until pale and creamy. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Use a large metal spoon to fold in the flour, coffee and buttermilk until well combined. Spoon the mixture evenly among the prepared cups or pans. Bake in oven for 25-30 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centres comes out clean. Set aside for 1 hour to cool completely.
- Use a balloon whisk to whisk together the mascarpone, cream and icing sugar in a large bowl until the mixture thickens slightly. Add the Kahlua and whisk until well combined.
- Spoon the mascarpone mixture over each cake and spread to the edge. Sprinkle with drinking chocolate to serve.
- If you don't have an espresso machine, use 2 tablespoons instant coffee dissolved in 185ml (3/4 cup) boiling water.
Preparation Time : 30 - 90 minutes
Cooking Time : 30 minutes
Makes : 8